colormegreenanewer

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cocoa Zucchini Cupcakes

Posted on 9:00 PM by Unknown

I had a little party this weekend, a housewarming of sorts, although I am living in a sublet, so I can't take credit for the beauty of the home, and I will be moving out again in just a few months. But does one ever really need a reason to gather friends together, old and new alike, and prepare a storm of snacks and drinks to offer them?





There was a spread of roasted red pepper hummus, white bean garlic herb dip, cheeses, crackers, and other sundries, and cupcakes per usual. I originally thought I would turn my recipe for cocoa applesauce muffins into cupcakes, but apples equal fall, and I'm not quite ready to accept the turn of seasons yet. I'm a big advocate of continuing to take advantage of summery produce until it disappears from the markets. With my schedule busier lately than I'm used to, I also didn't feel like taking the time to slowly cook apples down into sauce, so a simple grated zucchini from the greenmarket made sense.





I ended up adapting Heidi's recipe for chocolate zucchini cupcakes on 101 Cookbooks, but left out the chocolate chips because they actually aren't necessary. I've never before been able to achieve a rich chocolatey taste through cocoa powder alone. The key, I've now learned, is to use a full cup of cocoa, as a quarter or third of a cup won't cut it. My cupcakes tasted sharply of dark chocolate, with moist shredded zucchini hidden secretly and healthily inside. I paired them with bourbon cream cheese icing, but lemon or peanut butter icing might also be fun.



Cocoa Zucchini Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup milk
1 zucchini, about 2 cups grated
2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
bourbon cream cheese icing

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar. Whisk in honey, eggs, vanilla, milk, and grated zucchini. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and beat until batter is combined and smooth. Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove, let cool, and top with icing. Makes two dozen cupcakes.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Eats: Baked Goods and Desserts | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Beet and Roasted Garlic Cheese Crostini
    My parents made a monumental trip the other day - not in distance, as it is only 56 miles from their home to mine , but psychologically, sin...
  • a New Economy
    While I feel good about my personal efforts to cut back on consumption and not suport big corporations, some have remarked to me that, ...
  • Changing?
    Things are changing in the world of the Wounded Chef. But despite this, I still managed to get some fresh local foods in me. Last weekend, I...
  • Rosario
    Next up, for the third day of our trip, we headed to Rosario, a city about three hours northwest of Buenos Aires that is home to my friend M...
  • Turning Up and Down the Heat
    In past winters, Crunchy Chicken has encouraged people to join a Freeze Yer Buns Challenge to lower your thermostat as much as you're ...
  • Reducing Plastic
    I was recently reminded by an article in the New York Times about the dangers lurking in plastic. It highlighted a study which "found ...
  • Yard: Farewell Flowers
    This yard was just grass and dirt and ivy and weeds when we moved in, and we transformed it into something better. As I've mentioned bef...
  • Triumph in the Quest for Local Meat
    And another guest post from my sister Lisa in Florida, where finding locally sourced food is much more difficult than the Greenmarket-haven ...
  • Brown Paper Bag It
    As much as I love all the open shelving in this apartment, it was getting to be a bit too revealing in places and needed some cover up. I ha...
  • The Richardson
    via yelp Now that I'm feeling well enough to do more than just plop into bed after work, I went to check out a new bar in the hood, The...

Categories

  • Bars and Restaurants
  • Biking
  • Brooklyn
  • City Living
  • Dark Days Challenge
  • DIY
  • Eat
  • Eats: Baked Goods and Desserts
  • Eats: Beans
  • Eats: Breadstuffs
  • Eats: Brunch
  • Eats: Condiments Dips Pickles
  • Eats: Crockpot
  • Eats: Eggs and Brunch
  • Eats: Gluten Free
  • Eats: Grains
  • Eats: Grillin'
  • Eats: Meaty
  • Eats: Pizza and Bread
  • Eats: Pizza n Pasta
  • Eats: Salad
  • Eats: Seafood
  • Eats: Sides n Snacks
  • Eats: Soups n Stews
  • Eats: Vegan
  • Eats: Vegetarian
  • Eats: Veggies
  • Eco-conscious
  • Entertaining
  • Farmers Market Hauls
  • Green Phone Booth
  • Guest Posts
  • Home
  • Imbibing
  • Life
  • Life Happens
  • Life Lists
  • Manhattan
  • Mindful Spending
  • Music
  • One Local Summer Challenge
  • Outside
  • Plants
  • Pretty Things
  • Pups
  • Reads
  • Recipe Archive
  • To Do
  • Travels
  • Upstate
  • Weekends

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (18)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2012 (37)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2011 (43)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2010 (53)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ▼  September (5)
      • Cocoa Zucchini Cupcakes
      • How to Eat at Summer's End
      • Scenes from a Bike Tour of NYC
      • Season's End
      • Growing Plants Indoors
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2009 (109)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (17)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (12)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2008 (98)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  October (8)
    • ►  September (7)
    • ►  August (9)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (12)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2007 (39)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  March (5)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile